Planning a wedding or party doesn’t have to be stressful, keep perspective for success. Mindfulness meditation or focused breathing takes steady concentration and practice; it has several benefits like improving sleep quality and stress-reduction. Think of mindful meditation as a productivity tool helping you manage the mental and physical tension that comes with planning a fabulous event. Whether you’re a DIY bride or professional planner all you need is a quiet place and a few spare minutes.
We found a 5 step entry level checklist by Michael Gervais, Ph.D, a mindful meditation expert. Excerpts of his checklist below:
- Do it first thing in the morning: start with just three minutes, then add three minutes until you top out at 20. “Morning is ideal. It helps to establish that inner space before you start your day running at full speed” says Gervais.
- Don’t think you need to sit there like the Dalai Lama: “Find a spot that’s comfortable for you” says Gervais. Just remember to straighten your back so you feel the force of gravity and weight, because feeling the sense of your own physical presence helps with mediation. Quiet is essential.
- Don’t blow the breathing: As with all fitness when you’re practicing mindful meditation, the breathing is all about proper technique. “Start in you stomach, let your diaphragm pop out, and then move your breathing all the way up to the back of your chest” says Gervais.
- It takes practice so hang in there: “The natural state of our minds is like a drunk monkey: curious, easily distracted, a bit sloppy” says Gervais. “When your mind wanders just gently recognize that you’re away from your breath and gently refocus all of your attention back to your breathing: the inhale, the exhale the sensations of your body.”
- Incorporate it into your workouts: Whether you’re deadlifting or running a race, Gervais says that your experience meditating will crop up in ways you couldn’t have imagined. Once you’ve honed the discipline of being able to streamline your thoughts and focus intently on the present moment, your athletic performance will improve.
Our top music and stress management blog posts:
We like to meditate with music. The Steelpan instrument is unique. The tonal quality is meditative, great for relaxing. Playing Steelpan music is our therapy. Muse to our music. Visit our Free Music download page.