There were some very important events in Music this past week that you don’t want to have missed and there are some important events coming up that you need to make sure to not miss. From the Diamond Jubilee Celebration of Queen Elizabeth to live performances by CAISO - we've got all the information for you. Here are the highlights:
Mark Your Calendars:
- CAISO will be performing live as part of the Fairfax County Park Authority 2012 Summer Entertainment Series tonight, on June 6th , from 7:30 to 8:30PM at the Mason District Park Amphitheater, 6621 Columbia Pike, Annandale, VA. We hope to see you there tonight!
- CAISO will be again perform live on Thursdays at Clyde’s Chevy Chase from 5 till 9PM (weather permitting) throughout the summer. We would love to see you there – make sure you say “Hello” to us! For more information go here: Clyde’s
- June is National Caribbean-American Heritage Month and there will be many events being celebrated throughout the country including special events in the DC area June 9-16, for more information go here: CAHM
- Saturday, June 16th, CAISO will perform live at the Gum Springs Community Day at Martin Luther King, Jr. Community Park, 8115 Fordson Road, Gum Springs, VA. CAISO will be playing from 1 till 5PM. The day's activities take place from 10AM till 6PM and will be a great way to spend a summer day! For more information go here: Download Community_Day_Flyer
- June 23rd will mark the celebration of a Washington, DC area group of being awarded a fruit orchard! The event will involve the planting of the orchard as well as an overall celebration that will include live music. Edy’s Fruit Bar brand awarded three fruit orchards to under-served areas that were deserving of the donation through the Communities Take Root program. ECO City Farms in Edmonton, MD will be the site of the ceremonial planting and celebration. For more information go here: ECO City Farms Orchard Planting
- The Strathmore Backyard Theatre for Children has a great lineup through June and on into the summer. You don’t want to miss out on the music programs they have planned for young children in June. The events include local African percussion and dance group Farafina Kan to Moona Luna, the group that won a Parent's Choice Award as well as CD of the Year Award for a foreign language album from Creative Child Magazine. The events take place outside under a tent and you are suggested to bring a blanket along with you. For more information go here: Strathmore Backyard Theatre for Children
- July 20-22 will mark the FIRST Annual 3 Day music festival called “Firefly”. The music festival will have 48 top bands to headline the event as well as others which will be held at the Dover International Speedway in Dover, Delaware. There are volunteer spots available and the promoters. Red Frog, offer Internships at their Chicago office which could turn into a full time job in music promotion since they are indeed hiring and only hire from their Internship pool. This will be a fantastic event and tickets are already on sale. For more information go here: Firefly Music Festival
What You May Have Missed:
- We were all shocked and saddened to hear the news that Sheryl Crow has been diagnosed with a brain tumor. It is thankfully a benign tumor and she is expected to be just fine. For more information go here: Sheryl Crow
- Students at a grade school in Albany, NY were awarded a gift of $20,000 worth of musical instruments from Fidelity Investments. Philip J. Schuyler Achievement Academy received 18 instruments: six violins, three flutes, three clarinets, two trombones, two alto saxophones, a string bass and a cello. Needless to say, the children were elated to have these new instruments in their hands. Who knows what gifts of music will be awarded to the world through the gift offered these young minds by Fidelity Investments! The gift was coordinated through the Mr. Holland's Opus Foundation, a non-profit group that provides musical instruments to financially disadvantaged schools. For more information go here: Mr. Holland’s Opus Foundation
- If you were completely absent from any news information you may not have realized that a very important event in history occurred “across the pond” in England. The Queen celebrated her Diamond Jubilee which marks her service to the country of 60 years. This is the first Diamond Jubilee since that of her great grandmother, Queen Victoria, celebrated such an event. The Queen, who is now 86, took the throne at age 25 when her father passed away at age 56. Her father was King George VI and was the subject of the movie The King’s Speech. A major concert helped celebrate the 4 day event and highlights can be seen here: Queen’s Diamond Jubilee Concert
We hope to see you at the Mason District Park tonight, Clyde’s tomorrow or at one of our other events. You can keep up with our public performance schedule by visiting here: CAISO upcoming events or by following us on Twitter.